5/28/2006

"Great Day" (Madvillain, Madvillainy)

Happy long weekend; hope you're all doing well, and frankly, I hope you're not reading my blog today or tomorrow: get some sun, burgers, and booty, please. It's your American duty. I'm only posting because I have a completely free moment alone in Matthew's country house up in the CT woods, alone in a house holding 13 people for something wonderful and inexplicable called The Life Party. I could tell you more. But not online.

Today was a good day, tomorrow will be a good day. ("The sun will rise, the sun will set, and I will have lunch," said former Red Sox GM Lou Gorman, in a statement I read as a aphorism for the beauty of life's consistencies...and the joy of lunch.) And it was a good day when I wrote the following, originally posted on the SNR Isthmus. It's an homage to a song you should recognize quickly. If you don't, well, I totally came up with this idea on my own. Totally.

(Enjoy:)

just waking up in the morning, gotta thank Ra
sun is shining, drank a lot but don't feel off
no construction 'cross the street
landlord turned off the heat
and Cup O' Joes didn't charge for the breakfast meat
got my Canadian bacon on like John Candy
found a dope job listing on Mandy's
last night the Yankees got beat hard
plus the New York Post headline reads A-Fraud
I gotta go 'cause I got me a Diamond Back
kids stole the back wheel...but the back wheel was flat
B's bike hooked me with tires and rims
black cherry on black two-tone trim
and everything is alright
Got a call from my ex, but then my network went out of sight (g'yeah.)
roll to McCarren just heeding the call
which one of you little kids want to play wiffleball?
get me on the field and I'm Barry Bonds
sent Jimmy, Timmy, and Pablo crying to their moms
freakin' hall-of-fame game like Clemente
I gotta say, today was a good day.

(Cue Isley Brothers sample.)


I like me:
I like them/they like me:

    Contact the author on the comments.