2/12/2007

"King of Pain" (The Police, Synchronicity)

I'm getting a little tired of Bill Simmons and haven't even watched The Grammies yet, nor am I sure that I will, but there was one line of his running diary of the dumbest show in music that I sort of loved.

"8:01 -- The Police kick things off with their much-ballyhooed reunion, which would have had me 20 times more fired up if this were 1995. I can't believe it took them 23 years to forget how much they hated one another. Most bands only need five or six. Better late than never, I guess."

If you actually care about awards, J Dilla rocked an entirely different awards show, among several other artists. (The list below is significantly edited from the source.)

Album of the Year: Band of Horses - Everything All the Time

Female Artist of the Year: Neko Case

Hip Hop Album of the Year: Spank Rock - Yoyoyoyoyo

DJ Album of the Year: Girl Talk - Night Ripper

Avant Album of the Year: Xiu Xiu - The Air Force

Artist of the Year: J Dilla

Live Act of the Year: Broken Social Scene

Song of the Year: Band of Horses - "The Funeral"

Record Producer of the Year: J Dilla

Music Video of the Year: Wolf Parade - "I'll Believe in Anything"

Album Art/Packaging: Hot Chip - The Warning

Record Label of the Year: Sub Pop

Live Music Venue of the Year: Bowery Ballroom
(J. Drimmer: Really?)

Music Festival of the Year: South by Southwest

Music Blog of the Year: Brooklyn Vegan

Magazine of the Year: Paste

College/Non-Commercial Radio Station of the Year: KEXP

Record Store of the Year: Amoeba Music, Hollywood, CA

Specialty Show of the Year (Commercial Radio): Sirius Left of Center - Blog Radio

Podcast of the Year: WOXY.com Lounge Acts


I like me:
I like them/they like me:

    Contact the author on the comments.